Take the Insanity Asylum Challenge with me!

Monday, February 4, 2013

Popeye's Secret: Spinach & it's Superfood Qualities

It's no secret that spinach made Popeye super strong. What you may not know is that spinach is one of the best foods to include in your diet for overall health benefits. Spinach is a nutrient dense, low calorie food. It is FULL of vitamins, minerals, & phytonutrients.

Lets expand our nutrition vocabulary before we go on.

Nutrient Density refers to the amount of nutrients vs. calorie content in a given food. Nutrient dense foods, like vegetables & fruits, contain a high amount of nutrients and a low calorie content.

Vitamins are organic components in food that are needed in very small amounts for growth and for maintaining good health.
* Organic refers to carbon-containing compounds, not the popular term "organic" that has become more of a fad than anything. We'll talk more about this later.
* Notice I said "in food." You should not have to rely on supplemental vitamins to reach your daily allowance. It's better that you get everything you need from food. It's the most "organic" way to get what you need without preservatives and chemicals.

Minerals are inorganic (non-carbon containing) elements that come from the earth, like water, calcium, potassium, etc. Minerals are also necessary for proper growth, development, and maintenance of good health.

Phytonutrients (or phytochemicals) are naturally existing chemicals in fruit, vegetables, nuts, beans, whole grains, and tea. Phytonutrients only exist in plants (phyto is Greek for plant). Unlike vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients aren't necessary for keeping you alive, but they may help prevent disease and aid in optimal health. They also provide the color in fruits and vegetables.
*Example: carotenoids, like beta-carotene, provide the red, yellow, or orange color in fruits & vegetables and act as antioxidants (free radical and cancer-fighting & preventing agents). Good stuff, right?

Back to spinach!

Check out the graph. Look at all of those nutrients and then check out the calorie content. 41 CALORIES for a whole cup!!

*Sure beats the 550 calorie Big Mac you were planning on eating for lunch (half of which is fat). Not kidding. I'm sure they were going to ask you to make that a combo (an extra 230 calories for a small fry, 150 for a small coke, and 15 calories for each packet of ketchup). It's adding up quick (930 calories without the ketchup), and I doubt they tried to sell you a small fry and coke.

Health Benefits: Protection against inflammatory problems, oxidative stress-related problems, cardiovascular problems, bone problems, and cancers

High in Antioxidants: Researchers have identified more than a dozen different flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer agents, and antioxidants. Spinach is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, and manganese, as well as a good source of the antioxidants zinc, selenium, and copper.

High in Vitamin K: Spinach contains 200% DV (Daily Value) in 1 cup fresh spinach leaves and 1000% DV in 1 cup boiled spinach. Vitamin K is important for bone health. (Spinach is also an excellent source of magnesium, calcium, and manganese - also important for bone health.)

Other nutrients in Spinach

Folate, Potassium, Niacin, Selenium, & Vitamin B2 - heart health
Vitamin A - another free radical "scavenger" (with help for beta-carotene)
Dietary Fiber - digestion support
Muscle-building protein
Phosphorus and Vitamin B1 - energy
Omega-3 fatty acids - anti-inflammatory properties

Recipe
Green Smoothie (Martha Stewart Whole Living) - 193 calories per serving (2 servings per recipe)


Info from: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=43







1 comment:

  1. The worst time has passed”However, it is true that there are more improvements than before...because of the rising numbers of people living with HIV in the state of Nevada. How could they stigmatize all of them? Therefore everything becomes a little easier and we start to share everything... We also started to invite and visit each other in a community. You know, it is six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs...Yet whatever problems I face, the worst time has passedWhen I was evicted from the family home by my mother, my father rented a small room for me. But my mother and brothers believed that having HIV was my own fault – and that I deserved to be punished...I also considered myself unworthy and without hope... But I have a child and eventually I convinced myself to live for my child’s sake.
    My mother knew nothing [about HIV]. She didn’t understand anything. Do you know why? She didn’t have [the chance] to go out of the house and communicate with society. However, my father does interact with the community. I know his friends are mature and dignified africa america. So he has a better understanding than her.My father came call me on a sadfull day sitting on my couch about a friend of his from africa who introduce him to Dr Itua herbal  cure in africa in which he advise we should purchase his herbal medicine to cure my hiv so we did and Dr Itua prescribed I should drink the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure although we were so curious about the whole thing ,I finished the herbal medicine like he advised then he talked to me to visit my nearest clinic for check up I did and now I'm totally cured from Hiv my father was my rock and I and my family are now happy together also Dr Itua has be helpful in my community ever since he cure my Hiv so why I'm leaving  my story on here today is to reach out someone out here to hope on God and never give up no matter the situation you that you are facing especially through this pandemic seasons which has really taught us all on how we should be helpful to each other and cherish one another.Dr Itua cures the following diseases.....  Herpes,Liver cancer,Throat cancerLeukemia.,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Bladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Thyroid Cancer.You can contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  Or Whats-App Chat : +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete