Take the Insanity Asylum Challenge with me!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Breaking the Habit

Everyone engages in an assortment of unhealthy habits. Each of us has our own. Unfortunately, breaking those habits can be difficult, especially if you've been dealing with this habit for a long period of time.

Beginning this month, I'm going to be talking about breaking habits one at a time. It's better to concentrate on a single change at a time so as not to overwhelm yourself. The more you're overwhelmed or stressed about something, the less likely you are to continue actively changing. (Which is too bad, as I would LOVE to be able to change all of my unhealthy habits NOW!)

Step One: Choose a change
Choose one thing you'd like to either stop completely and replace with a healthy habit. For example: I am going to stop smoking/drinking/eating fast food/drinking soda AND begin doing cardio exercises daily/drinking more water/eating more vegetables & fruits. Got it?

Step Two: Determine HOW you're going to do this
You need a plan, a strategy, something to motivate you. What triggers the bad habit? For example, many smokers find it enticing to smoke while commuting or during a break at work. The same applies to fast food eating. You can't control the commute, but you can control your response to the temptation. I find that when I feel tempted, prayer works the best for me. I say a quick prayer asking God to help me overcome the temptation to drink a soda, or skip a workout, or procrastinate. Chewing gum sometimes helps smokers to overcome a craving. Drinking LOTS of water can help you avoid drinking sodas. Find what works for you!

Step Three: Begin the change
It's not going to be easy. Change is never easy! That's just a fact of life. But, telling yourself or thinking that its not possible is just setting you up for failure. YOU CAN DO IT! You're worth it. Think about WHY you chose this habit. Think about WHY you want to change. Every time you're tempted to quit, take a deep breath and THINK about how this change will make you better, healthier, happier! I'm rooting for you!

What am I changing?
I decided on a really easy change this month. It's not a habit, but its a health-conscious decision. I have decided to stop drinking ANY and ALL alcohol. Period. End of story. I like wine and the occasional cocktail. I don't drink it often. It's one of those social things, which I think is silly anyway. I'm going to concentrate on drinking more water.

Why?
Alcohol just isn't good for you. It's not healthy. It destroys your liver and kidneys by its toxic nature. Why would you ever want to put something that is toxic in your body? I don't know. Also, as a Christian, I'd like to be a better example for my friends and acquaintances, and strangers I'll meet along the way. I don't want to give in to worldly things. I want to focus on Jesus, and I want others to see Jesus in me. Alcohol has a tainted reputation especially with young people. I don't want that to be part of who people see me as.

Have a wonderful week!! Spring Is almost here!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment